ticker

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Delicious Miso Soup

Yeah Yeah, I've been neglecting my blog, been so busy lately with cooking and the gym, housework, yard work....blah blah blah...

I was also a bit upset this week with the Monday weigh in, instead of losing a pound I gained one, not sure why but I decided I didn't want to post it but I'm over it now! :P  The pouting is all over....

I thought going to the gym and sweating my ass off would make it come off a bit quicker but now I'm getting ahead of myself, I did say I was going to take a year to lose the weight so I'm still on track :D

Today I found a new website where you can map a walk and print it out (there's a link at the bottom of the page for those of you who are interested), what's fun about it is you can make it as long or short as you want, once you're done it tells you how long it is including hills and whatnot, I LOVE it! My first mapped walk was 3.9km and I did it in 42 minutes, YAY!!

Also last week I discovered my new favorite soup, Miso soup to be exact, it's very tasty and it's supposed to have several health benefits to boot, too many to list, but either way whether or not there are benefits, I like because it fills you up with almost no calories.
In Japan they have it everyday for breakfast, I haven't tried that yet but hey, who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll give it a try.
It's not a pretty soup but this is one of those foods that doesn't have to be!

I make my miso one bowl at a time since I like to have it ready at the drop of a hat. It only takes about 5 minutes to make once you have your dashi (soup base).

Delicious Miso Soup
1 serving

Dashi:
32oz. water
6-8 dried Chinese mushrooms
Bring water and mushrooms to a boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes. Scoop out your mushrooms and let them cool to slice them. Slice and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge.

The water in your pot is your dashi, pour it into an airtight container and keep in the fridge until needed.
For the soup you'll need:
1oz. extra firm silken tofu, cut in 1/2" cubes
3/4 cup dashi
1 tbs. sliced mushrooms (from the above dashi recipe)
1 tbs. sliced green onions
1/4 tsp. dried wakame
1 rounded tsp. white miso paste
Bring the dashi to a boil and add the tofu and wakame, lower to simmer and add mushrooms. Add the miso paste to your bowl and add about 1/4 cup soup base from the pot into your bowl and whisk the miso paste and soup until smooth. Then pour the remaining soup into your bowl and top with green onions. (You don't want to boil the miso paste as it destroys all the goodness out of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment