ticker

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Russian Cabbage Soup

So today looks like it's going to be a lazy day. Kinda looks like it's going to rain on and off so I'm going to make soup. Another one of those things I could eat 'til I burst but I will do my best not to :oP
My grandma taught my mom to make this and my mom sort of taught me, I say sort of because she couldn't remember exactly but I used the internet to fill in the blanks and it pretty much tastes like I remember it.
The recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar but today I'm going to try using Splenda and see how it turns out.
I'll let you all know this afternoon.....

edit: Splenda works great! woo hoo! :o)
Russian Cabbage Soup
Ingredients:

1 small onion, sliced thinly (80 gr.)
1 tbs. canola oil (15 gr.)
1 medium carrot sliced thinly (100 gr.)
1 small cabbage chopped (800-1000 gr.)
 48oz. cans Heinz tomato juice
2 tbs. Cyrches Vegetarian Chicken broth (10 gr.)
2 tsp. salt (10 gr.)
1/4 tsp. white pepper
2 cups water
1 cup sugar (240 gr.)
or
* 24 gr. granulated Splenda (about 3/4 cup)

Method:
Heat oil in a large pot and add onions. Cook until softened and add carrots and cabbage. Mix well until coated with oil. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.

*If you're using Splenda, Add about 15 minutes after you're finished cooking the soup to let it cool slightly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment