ticker

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hoddeok... or Korean Pancakes

I added a cute little ticker to the top of my page today, hoping it will continue to keep me motivated but I will say so far I'm really pumped! So far a pound a week which is a tiny bit more than I should be losing :P
Also, I'm really having fun with these recipes, pulling out old favorites and finding new stuff at the same time. I'm thinking Moroccan in the next few days.

So what goes better with a Korean meal than a Korean dessert?
These are tasty little pancakes that you can eat warm or cold and from what I've read, they are sold by many street vendors in Korea so they must be pretty good.
I haven't mastered the "in hand" technique of sealing in the filling but I had no trouble making them right on the counter.


Hoddeok

In a large bowl mix: 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tbs. sugar, 1 tsp. dry yeast, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1-1/2 tsp. oil


Add 1 cup of flour and stir well until smooth, cover with plastic wrap



Let rise for about one hour, lift the wrap and stir down and let rise again for about 30 minutes or until you're ready to make the pancakes.


For the filling mix: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 3 tbs. finely chopped walnuts


Remove the dough from the bowl onto about 1/2 cup of flour. The dough will be very stick so be sure to flour your hands too. Knead some flour into the dough for about 1 minute and then cut the dough ball into 4 equal pieces. Flatten each ball into a 5" circle.


Add 2 tbs. filling to each circle.


Lift all the sides and pinch them together to seal in the filling.


Heat a bit of oil in a pan on medium heat, place one pancake at a time in the pan sealed side down and let brown for about 2 minutes without touching it.


Flip it over and with a spatula, gently press it down all around and cook for another 2 minutesor so.
Flip it over again and let cook for another 30 seconds. Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment