ticker

Friday, July 22, 2011

Potato Salad, who doesn't like it?

We're going through a heat wave, yeah I know, how hot can it get in Canada? Well pretty damned hot!
Yesterday with the humidex it was 114, without 98!! today just a bit less. Phew!! I'll tell you one thing, I LOVE my air conditioner!!

Yesterday I decided to keep my gym appointment and give them and myself another chance. I went through the whole joining process, made out my checks and back to the blood pressure thingy again. This time it was even higher than the first time and the trainers were looking at me like I was going to drop dead!

178/108!!!

What he didn't know was that during the week I had been taking my blood pressure 4-6 times a day and most of the time it was normal, sometimes below 120/80 and sometimes higher but never over 135/85 and before leaving home I plugged my blood pressure thingy to the computer and made a printout for him. He looked at it and even wondered if his machine might be off so he took his own and it was good. So............

He was very hesitant but made me a descent workout sheet anyway. He let me do 1/2 the workout and handed me a bunch of papers to be signed by a doctor.
I figured what the hell, I may as well just buckle and do it!

So this morning I was sitting outside the clinic at 6:30am waiting until it opened at 8:00am. My turn comes along, Dr. take my BP and again it's high? 149/101
I showed her my printout and she says I probably have "white coat syndrome" (when you're nervous at the dr.'s office, makes your BP rise) and admitted that she has the same problem. But to be safe I am now wearing an ABPM (ambulatory blood pressure monitor) for the next 24 hours, so far it's pretty good but I do have a few spikes but nothing crazy.

I will update with results tomorrow...

Anyway, since it's a hot one, what's better than a burger with potato salad? So today's recipe is my vegan potato salad... I don't use vegan mayonnaise because to tell you the truth I hate them all LOL!! BLECH!
Instead I use Tofutti brand vegan sour cream and mix with lemon juice and vinegar, I find it way better.

Weez's Sunshine Potato Salad

3/4 pounds of small new potatoes
1/2 stalk of celery, chopped
1/4 green pepper, chopped
1/2 green onion, chopped
1/3 cup frozen corn
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup Tofutti Sour Supreme (vegan sour cream)

Cut up your potatoes into small bite sized pieces and boil for about 5-6 minutes, drain and let them sit in cold water for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the rest of the veggies and mix them in a large bowl, add the potatoes and voila! For even better flavor, let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two.


I had it with a veggie burger topped with mushrooms and tofutti sour creammmmmmmmmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment