ticker

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tibetan Momos

I was going to join a gym yesterday, I was pretty motivated since I had been waiting over a month for my evaluation appointment. So off I go with my daughter, towel and water bottle in hand.
We start the interview, lots of questions, normal stuff like my age, weight, height, what do I want to accomplish. Also a few health questions like do I have heart disease, diabetes, bla bla bla.
Then she starts up with the stuff that made me start wondering if I was in the right place.... Do I have sore muscles, back pain, articulation stiffness etc??? What was she a doctor? I highly doubt it given the fact that she was only about 19 /:) Of course I have ALL those things! I'm 51 and haven't exercised regularly for years, DUH!! Isn't that why you join the gym? Get in shape, lose some weight?

Of course the smart answer to her questions would have been "no" to all, but I stupidly told her that I did have calcified tendonitis in my right shoulder, so now I need a permission slip from my physiotherapist. At this point I'm beginning to get annoyed. :-L

Then she takes my blood pressure.... 138/88 resting heart rate 72. (almost borderline high blood pressure) Well that did it right there, I was almost banned from doing exercise! She took me around to show me the equipment, puts me on the treadmill at 5kmh and shuts it off after 5 minutes... WTH!!!
Then she shows me a leg machine, 10 reps, that's it. The crunch machine, 20 reps, that it!
Then she says OK that all I'm ALLOWED to let you do today!! At this point I was getting pissed!
Apparently only healthy fit people are supposed to join the gym. Since Katrina and Dan still had over an hour left, I walked 5 miles home. Other than a blister on the back of my heel I was fine. That sure beat the crappy workout I got at the gym!

I do have an appointment on Thursday to meet with the trainer who's supposed to make out my fitness plan but I think I'll be cancelling that and taking care of my workout myself. I really don't feel like paying $50.00 a month to be allowed to do a 15 minute granny workout.

One good thing came out of all this, I did find out that I have borderline high blood pressure so now more than ever I am motivated to lose weight and exercise since that is one of the natural ways of lowering your blood pressure.....

So on to the recipe of the day:


Tibetan Momos

2 cups very finely chopped cabbage
1 carrot
3 garlic buds
3 green onions
1/4" ginger
1/2 cup broccoli
2 small potatoes or 1 large one
3 tbs. oil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
36 round dumpling wrappers

Start by chopping all your veggies (except the potatoes) really fine, the finer the better. You should have about 3 cups total. Peel and chop the potatoes and boil until soft, mash and put aside.
heat the oil until hot in a small pan and add to the veggies while still hot, mix well to coat the veggies. Add the seasoning and potatoes and mix again. It should look like this:


Now it's time to make your little dumplings. I used this video to help me get the hang of it and it helps to wet the edge of the wrapper with a little water to help them stick well.

I cheated and bought my wrappers but you can also make them if you have that sort of patience.


Once you're finished making 12 of your little momos you can start steaming them in a bamboo steamer for 15 minutes.


While they're cooking you can continue making more momos until all 36 are done. Voila!!
Serve with chili dipping sauce.





No comments:

Post a Comment